AGS has partnered with the Thirst Project and each Academy class has committed to building a well to end the world water crisis.
Why the water crisis?
- Inadequate access to safe drinking water for about 884 million people
- Inadequate access to sanitation for 2.5 billion people, which often leads to water pollution
- Groundwater overdrafting (excessive use) leading to diminished agricultural yields
- Overuse and pollution of water resources harming biodiversity
- Regional conflicts over scarce water resources sometimes resulting in warfare.
- Waterborne diseases caused by lack of sanitation and hygiene are one of the leading causes of death worldwide.
- For children under age five, waterborne diseases are a leading cause of death.
- According to the World Bank, 88 percent of all waterborne diseases are caused by unsafe drinking water, inadequate sanitation and poor hygiene.
- The process of retrieving water is often left to women and children which, not only limit economic development, but dramatically diminishes access to education for children around the world.